Thursday 24 May 2012

back to basics: skincare must-haves


Normally one of the few things I feel really good about is my skin. I very rarely get spots and my skin is usually very normal and is generally very well behaved. I occasionally get some drier patches in certain areas such as around my nose and my eyebrows but they're nothing a little exfoliator and a good moisturiser can't fix. However over the last week or so my skin has gone crazy! I'm beginning to think that perhaps I've had a reaction to something as I also have a few spots on my neck which is unheard of for me. Due to this, I've really tried to keep my skincare as simple as possible and just use some really gentle products that I know and trust.

No7 Beautiful Skin Hot Cloth Cleanser - A while ago now, even before I started my blog, I tried the much loved Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish and had the worst allergic reaction imaginable - my skin looked like it was covered in boils. I used it for about a month in total, but this was definitely not a "purging" stage as some people have suggested to me as it was so itchy and uncomfortable and very much unlike normal spots. However, I did really like the whole concept of using a muslin cloth with my cleanser so even after stopping using the C&P I continued to use muslin cloths in my skincare routine. I love the gentle exfoliation of them and how bright and radiant they can make your skin appear. They just generally make your cleansers work a lot harder - simple but brilliant!

Last time Boots did their £5 off No7 vouchers I decided to try the No7 Hot Cloth Cleanser and I definitely prefer it (surely anything is better than a rash all over your face haha). I personally just find it to be so much gentler on the skin. As this is the most gentle cleanser I own it's something that I really trust to clean my skin without aggravating it even more with strong fragrances or exfoliating bits and bobs.

The No7 Beautiful Skin Hot Cloth Cleanser is £10 and available from Boots or online here.

Sudocrem Antiseptic Healing Cream - Whoever created Sudocrem is my hero at the moment! For me this is the best thing to speedily get rid of spots. I just dab some on any spots before bed and it just dries them up and shrinks them nicely without making them all horrible and flaky. I've tried quite a few spot removing gels and this does the job better than all of them. It's also such a good cream to have lying around as it can also be used on other things such as sunburn, sores and... um... nappy rash.

It's so effective as the main ingredient is Zinc Oxide which has antibacterial properties and can help create a barrier between your skin and the air. If you haven't tried this for treating spots then I really do suggest giving it a go as unlike some more acidic treatments it won't aggravate them and make the area any sorer or redder.

Sudocrem is available everywhere (pharmacies, supermarkets etc) but is £2.69 for a 125g pot from Boots or online here. This will last you forever as you only need such a tiny amount because it's so thick. I've had mine for about a year and I still have about 80% left!

Boots Simply Sensitive Protecting Day Moisturiser - This is the day moisturiser I use for when my skin is playing up. As the name suggests it's so gentle and not too thick so makes a great base for make up. It also contains SPF15 so is fab for protecting your skin too, as well as aloe vera to sooth it. As it's fragrance and colour free, it won't irritate your skin any more. I can't really say enough good things about this moisturiser! It's basic but just what my skin needs when it's unhappy! It's so cheap too.

Boots Simply Sensitive Protecting Day Moisturiser is £2.79 from Boots or online here and is currently on a 3 for 2 offer.

E45 Moisturising Lotion - Night time is when your skin does most of it's healing so I like to use a really good moisturiser at night to help it rehydrate and repair. At the moment I'm going as simple as it gets with moisturiser and using the E45 Moisturising Lotion in place of my usual night cream. Again, it's perfume free and hypoallergenic so is very gentle on the skin. Also, although it's very moisturising it doesn't leave your skin feeling greasy at all. The only reason that I don't use it in the day is that it takes a little longer than the Boots moisturiser to entirely sink in so it isn't so good for under make up.

E45 Moisturising Lotion is £5.99 from Superdrug or online here. This price is for 500ml though whereas my bottle is 250ml so the smaller bottle is probably cheaper!

I hope this helps any of you who are also suffering with your skin at the moment. After all, it is exam period which often means stress, chocolate and late nights = spots!

The only other advice I can give is drink as much water as possible and have as many make up free days as you can. There's no point clogging up your pores even more with layers of thick foundation as that will just cover the problem rather than treat it!

What's your back to basic skincare secret?

xx

42 comments:

  1. I use Sudocrem on breakouts too and it really works! I also us it on my babys butt :) multipurpose at its best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha exactly! There's no problem that can't be cured by Sudocrem x

      Delete
  2. I find just rinsing with water, no cleansers or anything,and not wearing any makeup helps when my skin looks like crap. It sort of balances itself out eventually! Not always practical though especially when I have to be out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I know! I'm beginning to think I definitely have had a reaction to something as they're on my body as well - so disgusting! But like you say you just want to cover them with make up! x

      Delete
  3. I really need to give the Sudocrem a try, it's something I own anyway as I have a baby but I've never tried it on breakouts. I have a £5 No.7 voucher and I'm really tempted to spend it on the hot cloth cleanser now! Great post :)

    http://beautybyemma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I only tend to get No7 things when there's vouchers to be honest! You have to try Sudocrem, it's so good x

      Delete
  4. Oh no, I hope your skin fixes itself soon! I find my skin changes and responds quite a lot with a change in weather, and I know the weather has changed quite drastically this last week in the UK?!

    Zoe xx
    http://toujourszweee.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah I know, but it started before the 'sun' (probably nothing compared to your lovely weather haha). I wish I could blame it on the weather! x

      Delete
  5. Sudocream never worked on my face..i put on spots and gave me a horrible rash and so itchy and blotchy :( xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's so annoying! I always think that skin can be so unpredictable haha x

      Delete
  6. Totally the same as you! All 4 of these products are always in my skincare draw just in case... just with cetaphil moisturiser included. I think it's always good to give your skin a break from chemicals and scented products xx

    beautyembraced.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! You don't want to irritate it even more x

      Delete
  7. I've always wanted to try a hot cloth cleanser, the no7 and superdrug ones are top of my list x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish is the one everyone swears by but my skin hated it. However I would give it a try as so many people love it including my mum and sister x

      Delete
  8. I'm going to have to buy some sudocream now xx


    A Scholar Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great post! :) For me stress quite often shows itself in spots and exams/dissertations have had their wicked way with my complexion of late! I've got a £5 No7 voucher hiding at the bottom of my bag and I'm certainly going to give the Hot Cloth Cleanser a go after reading this! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, try the No7 cleanser, it's so great when you want something more gentle. And fingers crossed it is just stress and bad eating due to exams then, I hate having spots! x

      Delete
  10. Sudocrem is honestly the best thing I've ever used on my spots, including medicated stuff you get from the doctors!If only it prevented spots as well. I really don't understand why the 'problem' skin care brands haven't cottoned on...
    Kirstie x

    www.weekendtoast.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know! It's better than any spot gel I've tried x

      Delete
  11. Aww hope your skin gets better! Sudocream is amazing! =) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sudocream always saves me when I get a breakout! Such a Godsend! Plus, I love the No.7 Hot Cloth Cleanser! Not tried the Liz Earle one but I'm so sad to hear that you got such a bad reaction to it :(

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The No7 cleanser looks good! Sudocrem is definitely a must-have for me too, always crack it on when I get a break out! XO.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sudocreme looks very promising!
    like you, a zit is a pretty rare occurence for me, and an under-the-skin one has just popped up for me. those are the worst and hardest to get rid of -- ugh!! i might have to pick up some sudocreme the next time i'm at target -- hopefully it can penetrate underneath the outer layer of my skin!

    -alexandra
    http://alexisinodak.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's best to put it on before it gets too bad so it dries up x

      Delete
  15. The No7 Hot Cloth Cleanser, Sudocrem and E45 are holy grail items for me too! My skin's having a bit of a tantrum at the moment as well so I feel your pain - hopefully we'll be out of the woods soon enough!

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. God bless sudocream lol been using it since I first started getting breakouts & it still does the job! xox

    http://kirstysparkle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm trying to use more natural skin care at the minute to give myself a little break from harsh chemicals, but this sun is just turning me so greasy! Will have to give sudocream a go x

    josieowen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I know it's so annoying, it's so difficult to know what's best for your skin when it's playing up :( !x

      Delete
  18. E45 and Sudocrem are my favourites

    NRC ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have the No7 Beautiful Skin Hot Cloth Cleanser and I adore it! I use it just a couple of times a week as a treat because it's so lovely, but for my skin type not an every day cleanser xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fab isn't it, and reasonably priced too! x

      Delete
  20. I have never used sudocrem to get rid of spots but may have to purchase have heard lots of people mention it

    http://supersnoo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm using the E45 one : ) it makes me comfortable !!

    http://koreanflower88.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice post. Your writing style is very beautiful and your article is very attractive. You share a very useful information that is very useful for a lot of people and it will also help for many people. Keep writing. Thanks for sharing.
    Accounts Software For Small Business
    papers-for-sale

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...