Monday 9 April 2012

a true lip butter?



The other day I gave in and finally purchased one of the new Revlon Lip Butters that we've been hearing so much about. I must admit that when they finally hit the shops I was actually a bit disappointed in the range of colours and found them a bit, well... boring. (Just me?) There wasn't a shade that instantly jumped out at me. Anyway, as I said I picked one up on a whim and went eventually for Macaroon, a subtle brown toned reddish shade.

As quite a few people have said now, the formula was not what I was expecting at all. When I heard about the Lip Butters I was expecting a very sheer and soft texture which was moisturising on the lip. In fact, they're really very pigmented and not sheer in the slightest. Also, as for the feel of them on the lip - dare I say it - I've actually found them to be quite drying. I have other lipsticks which don't claim to have moisturising properties which are less drying than this! Despite these criticisms, I do love the colour of Macaroon for everyday wear but I have taken to applying a lip balm first as I tend to do with all my other lipsticks. The colour lasts on my lips for three ish hours before I feel that it needs to be reapplied, which is about standard for me. I also like the sleek packaging which feels sturdy and well made. I love being able to see the colour through the top of the lid too!

In a totally unrelated incident (I get pulled in by the Boots 3 for 2 offer far too regularly...) I picked up a Mirror Shine lipstick by 17 in the colour Purple Haze. This is a gorgeous purpley berry shade, as the name suggests, and looks like you've been gobbling blackberries - just the kind of colour I love! Anyway, when I wore this for the first time yesterday, I realised that this was actually far more how I had expected the Lip Butters to be. The colour is incredibly sheer and I find the Mirror Shine lipsticks to actually be a lot more moisturising than the Revlon Lip Butters - I don't feel the need to apply lip balm before at all. The colour definitely doesn't last as long but that can often be the case with more glossy and moisturising lip products, and having to reapply regularly doesn't bother me particularly. I'm also not really a fan of the packaging; the blue metallic bullet doesn't really do much for me and looks a bit cheap.

Left: 17 Mirror Shine, Right: Revlon Lip Butter
Top: Revlon Lip Butter in Macaroon (slightly smudged... oops!), Bottom: 17 Mirror Shine in Purple Haze
I have other 17 lipsticks but this was my first from the Mirror Shine range, and I will definitely be picking up more as I love the formula. As for the Revlon Lip Butters? I don't think I'll necessarily get another one, not because of the texture but because of the colour range. One product that I hear has a similar feel to it are the L'Oreal Caresse lipsticks, which are meant to be very sheer. Also, the range of colours looks far more exciting than the Lip Butters so watch this space!

I picked both the Revlon Lip Butter and the 17 Moisture Shine Lipstick up from Boots. The Lip Butter was £7.99 and the Mirror Shine Lipstick was £4.59.

Have you tried either of these products? What did you think? If you've tried one of the L'Oreal Caresse lipsticks, did you like it?

PS. Today is my birthday! I'd like to pretend it's by eighteenth again, but the truth is I'm now twenty. Still young, but too old for my liking! Another trip to Boots for the 3 for 2 may therefore be appropriate as a little treat...

xx

17 comments:

  1. I really like the L'oreal Caresse lipsticks but they can be a little drying if you are reapplying them all day, I prefer the brighter shades in the lip butters but feel they have been a little over hyped. I love the Mirror Shine 17 lipsticks in terms of value and have just discovered Maybelline Extreme Moisture lipsticks which are really moisturising. I always wear lipbalm under my lippy too :) Purple Haze looks like a great colour! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah okay, I'll remember that about the L'Oreal Caresse lipsticks! And thanks for the recommendation of the Maybelline Extreme Moisture lipsticks! x

      Delete
    2. No problem :) best to look around for the Maybelline ones on ebay as you can get them cheaper and in way more colours! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I totally get what you mean about getting pulled in by the Boots offer. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!! I hope your having a wonderful day <3
    i still havnt got any lip butters but i am desperate to see what all the buzz is about -your review was really helpful, im not sure which colour i'd choose as there really doesnt seem much choice. I tried a swatch of the Loreal Caress on my hand and it seemed very sheer and i actually thought a little too sheer and wouldnt last very well. oh and that 17 colour is lushhhh :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I picked up a L'Oreal Caress today but I only swatched it on my hand. They do seem very sheer but this was kind of what I was hoping for with the Lip Butters. The colour range is a million times better too! x

      Delete
  4. happy birthday! :D
    i haven't tried them but i've heard that the loreal lip caresse ones are better - would you agree? :)

    maddie xx
    vintagebeautyx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I picked up one of the L'Oreal Caresses today so I'll see what I think! x

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday!! I wish you performance of all wishes come true!!!
    I like Revlon Lip Butter)
    http://natcosmetics.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do like them, they were just different to what I expected! x

      Delete
  6. Oooh the first one looks amazing
    Following

    NRC ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I'm hearing such mixed reviews about the Revlon lip butters, I've been meaning to pick one up to try, but, like you, I wasn't too taken aback by the shades available - the 17 ones look pretty cool though, might have to snag one next time I'm in Boots! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the same with me - I'd heard so many different things about the Lip Butters I just decided to try one for myself! x

      Delete
  8. Great post i want to try the lip butters but they are still not out here in the UAE :( now following :)
    http://starvogue84.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Don't worry too much - although I do like them, you're not missing out on anything ground breaking haha :) ! x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...